Along with other minor updates to iOS 12 like how Face ID works on the Lock screen, Apple has brought a built-in thesaurus to iPhone and iPad. Follow along for how to turn this feature on.
Whoosh! Screen Cleaner
This is another one of those features that isn’t overly exciting, but will prove valuable in day to day use. Particularly if you’re used to using the dictionary and thesaurus on Mac, this addition to iOS 12 will be appreciated.
Note: iOS 12 is currently only available as a developer beta, however, a public beta will likely be released sometime soon.
How to enable the new thesaurus on iPhone and iPad
- Open Settings
- Swipe down and tap on General
- Swipe down again if needed to find Dictionary
- Look for and tap on American English – Oxford American Writer’s Thesaurus
- After the thesaurus is downloaded, you can use it by selecting text and choosing Look Up
It may take a few moments to download the thesaurus. Tap and hold (long press) on text to select a word, tap Look Up and find synonyms below the definition at the top.
For more help getting the most out of your Apple devices, check out our how to guide as well as the following articles:
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news:
More from my site
- iOS 12: How to enable quiet notifications on iPhone and iPad
iOS 12 brings many subtle refinements that may have flown under your radar. One of these new features is the ability to receive notifications quietly. Follow along for how to turn […]
- iPhone & iPad: How to enable On/Off Labels
A small detail Apple changed in the transition from iOS 6 to iOS 7 and beyond is On/Off Labels. In the old days, Apple enabled On/Off labels by default and now that’s no longer the […]
- How To Enable iMessage On iPhone
One of the apps most used by iPhone owners is iMessage. This is because it's a great way to keep in touch with friends and family, while being able to access messages across all of your […]
- How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad: Get cool new features for free
The current version of Apple's iPhone and iPad software - iOS 11 - arrived on 19 Sept 2017, and iOS 12 will be here in the autumn of 2018; both add dozens of cool new features. And there […]
- iOS 12 vs iOS 11: Should you update your iPhone or iPad? Apple unveiled four big operating system updates at WWDC on 4 June 2018, and the biggest of all was iOS 12, the new OS for iPhone and iPad.
iOS 12 will be released to the public in […]
- How to download YouTube videos to iPhone & iPad and watch them offline Downloading a YouTube video to your iPad or iPhone is actually pretty easy once you know how, and essential if you want to watch clips offline. Plus, it's incredibly annoying when […]
- iOS 12: How to permanently delete photos on iPhone
Along with the new features that iOS 12 brings, the latest iPhone and iPad software also makes some changes to how existing features work. One of these tweaks is how to permanently […]
- iOS 12: How to set up Screen Time as a parent on a child’s iPhone or iPad
iOS 12 introduces Apple’s new Screen Time platform to help users with spending their device time more deliberately. An important aspect of that is helping parents guide device use […]
- How to make a custom Animoji on iPhone X with Memoji At its WWDC 2018 keynote presentation, Apple unveiled significant updates to all four of its operating system platforms, but by far the most time was spent on iOS 12 for the iPad and […]
- How to install the iOS 12 public beta on your eligible iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
As we recently noted, the iOS 12 public beta has been released for those interested in trying iOS 12 before it officially launches later this fall. In other words, you don’t have to […]