The Fedora Project says the Fedora 29 beta is now availalbe — the latest version of the free and open-source Fedora OS. The major additions to this release include:
- Modularity support across all editions, allowing multiple versions of the same software (e.g., node.js) to be selected on a per-system basis and then deployed through containers
- Better performance and reliability for ARM single boards (such as Pi) given enhanced ZRAM support for swap on ARMv7 and aarch64
The “freeze” (moving Fedora 29 out of the “beta” stage) is expected on October 9.
As with all releases, Fedora 29 includes some bug fixes and tweaks. It also includes enhancements to base packages — Python 3.7, Perl 5.28. glibc 2.28, Gloang 1.11, and MySQL 8.
Ready to try the Fedora 29 beta?
Those willing to help testing the new release can visit getfedora.
Note that RedHat seeks volunteers to report bugs and in many other aspects of working with this important and popular Linux distro — translating, testing, creating content, marketing, and more. See what they need at What’s your area of interest? page.
Join the Network World communities on Facebook
to comment on topics that are top of mind.
More from my site
- Lian Li Announces Availability of Bora Lite RGB Case Fans
When I think of the brand Lian Li, RGB Fans isn’t my first thought, I think of the plethora of aluminum chassis’ for enthusiasts. Lian Li is proud to announce the availability […]
- All about Debian 9 ‘Stretch,’ the Linux distro that just works
Debian 9 "Stretch" just came out, and as far as Linux distros go, Debian stands apart as a distribution meant for stability. Sure, most desktop users might choose Ubuntu or Fedora for […]
- Linux tip: Learn to use display release commands
Hi, this is Sandra Henry-Stocker, author of the “Unix as a Second Language” blog on NetworkWorld.In this tip, we’re going to look at a couple commands that identify the version of […]
- OnePlus 5 and 5T gain Project Treble support in latest beta update
It's common knowledge that Android updates are slow, in some cases, delayed to the point they become redundant. In order to fix this universal problem that the ecosystem […]
- RHEL 8 Beta arrives with application streams and more
The leading enterprise Linux platform is now available in a new and highly innovative Beta release. Among other highlights that promise a transformation of business IT well into […]
- Acer announces the new Swift 5 Notebook, gaming desktops and more Today, Acer announced a new notebook designed for people on-the-go, as well as several new gaming desktops and laptops powered by Windows 10 that arrive with simple, […]
- HP announces two new lines of laptops, desktops and All-in-Ones powered by Windows 10 Today, HP unveiled two lines of premium devices in a variety of form factors designed for wherever work and life take you with amazing battery life, security, […]
- Microsoft Store announces PC digital game gifting
Last Fall, the Microsoft Store enabled gifting of select Xbox One digital games, Xbox One downloadable game content (durables only), and Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass subscriptions. […]
- HP announces the most powerful OMEN 15 Laptop yet
Today, HP unveiled the new OMEN 15 laptop, engineered for gaming performance and designed to be even sleeker than ever to deliver top-notch experiences, whether you’re on-the-go or […]
- Surprise! OnePlus is bringing Project Treble to the OnePlus 5/5T
The latest beta update for the OnePlus 5/5T includes Project Treble support.
This surprising addition to the 5/5T will enable faster Android updates in the future.
The beta also includes […]