Dual-screen computing devices are becoming nearer to the reality these days. We already know quite a lot about Microsoft’s Andromeda and another device called ‘Centaurus’ has come up in recent leaks. The OEMs of Microsoft are also interested in the dual-screen form factor of PC.
At the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon Tech Summit in Maui, Qualcomm has announced Snapdragon 8cx for ‘Always Connected PCs’. Their previous ARM-based PC processors are just the upgraded versions of flagship smartphone processors. This time they have made this 8cx chipset with 7-nanometre fabrication process from the ground up especially for PCs.
According to the chip-maker 8cx is their ‘most extreme’ product till date. It has Kryo 495 processing cores, Adreno 680 GPU, multi-gigabit LTE with Snapdragon X24 modem, quick charge 4+, up to 25 hours of battery life and most importantly it supports two 4K HDR monitors.
In the promotional video of Snapdragon 8cx, Qualcomm has shown a glimpse of dual-screen PC running Windows 10’s tablet mode. It appears to be a mockup but it does suggest that Qualcomm is also interested in dual-screen devices concept.
Microsoft is said to be working Windows Core OS which is a lightweight and modern version of Windows 10 for Always Connected PCs with native ARM support and better tablet experience.
Qualcomm has mentioned that this chipset can deliver 2X faster graphical performance with Adreno 680 GPU and it is also 60% more efficient than their previous ARM-based PC processor Snapdragon 850.
The processor has 2X more transistors, 2X more memory bandwidth, total 10mb of L2 and L3 cache. Latest DirectX 12 support is also added. This is going to deliver much optimised and smooth performance on all form factors including dual-screen monitors. The graphics intensive productivity tasks will be handled in a much better way.
Another big challenge for the dual-screen device is battery life as it would be running two screens at the same time. But this 7nm processor with 7W TDP, Kryo 495 processing cores and Adreno 680 GPU is very much energy efficient. The new heat dissipation system will keep the system cooler than previous models and Qualcomm’s solution might address the battery concerns as well.
The post Qualcomm teases a dual-screen Windows 10 in Snapdragon 8cx launch video appeared first on Windows Latest
More from my site
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 712 chipset is all about bringing premium features to more mid-range phones
Until a year or so ago, Qualcomm’s Snapdragon smartphone processor lineups were fairly easy to understand. But then the 710 came to narrow the gap between the mid-range […]
- Microsoft’s Panos Panay talks about Windows Phone and Surface lineup
Image Courtesy: Wired
The Surface devices have gotten pretty good. The Surface brand is not Microsoft’s core business as the company makes most of its revenue from […]
- New leaked app hints at Dell’s two-screen Windows 10 device Dell is reportedly working on a two-screen mobile device based on Microsoft’s approach, and it will be powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 850 processor and Windows 10 on ARM. […]
- Qualcomm targets Kids’ wearables with Snapdragon Wear 2500
Just recently, Qualcomm introduced a new line of mobile processors aimed at low-end and mid-range smartphones in the form of the Snapdragon 429, 439, and 632. However, in […]
- The Next HoloLens Could Have Qualcomm’s Snapdragon XR1 Chip The next version of Microsoft’s HoloLens headset for augmented reality will supposedly feature Qualcomm’s new Snapdragon XR1 processor. The rumor arrives by way of an anonymous source who […]
- Dell could have altered its dual-screen Windows 10 phone plans by now
We recently learned that Microsoft, Huawei, Samsung could launch a foldable smartphone-tablet in the coming months. While the phones from Samsung and Huawei will […]
- 4 ways Qualcomm’s Snapdragon Wear 3100 chip will supercharge Wear OS watches
In the two and a half years since Qualcomm unveiled its last smartwatch chip, the landscape has changed quite a bit. Apple has become the far-and-away leader in wearables, […]
- Rumor: Mid-range Pixel could launch with Snapdragon 710 in 2019 A concept render of the Pixel 3 by Phone Designer
Google looks set to add some mid-range phones to the Pixel family.
Following rumors from earlier this year about a […]
- Report: Microsoft’s rumoured dual-screen Windows 10 device might not launch this year Over the last few days, it has become apparent that Microsoft is working on a new Surface-branded foldable mobile device powered by a new version of Windows 10 optimized for all form […]
- Fan concept shows off Windows 10’s modular start screen interface Enthusiasts and designers are giving Microsoft fans a look at the possible design of the modular Windows Core OS for foldable mobile devices. The latest concept from designer Harry Dohyun […]